Pacific Outrigger is an association of men and women who paddle for recreational and competitive purposes in six-person outrigger canoes. We focus on fitness and teamwork, and love being outdoors on the river. Members donate time, energy and resources to maintain club operations and to pursue club goals.
We practice twice a week in the off-season (roughly October through March), and three times a week in the racing season (roughly April through mid – September). In order to improve and to train for races, we encourage paddlers to attend two practices per week (the practice schedule is shown below). We meet at Fred’s Marina located near the southwest end of Sauvie’s Island.
New paddlers are offered two free introductory paddling sessions. Each new paddler must fill in and sign the required waivers. Club dues are $25 per month. Additional costs include race fees (only if participating in a race) and the purchase of personal equipment such a life jacket, paddle and hydration system. We will be happy to loan a paddle and life jacket if you do not posses these items already.
Outrigger paddling is fun and part of a long and wonderful tradition! Give us a try.
- Mondays – 6:30 pm to 8:00 pm
- Wednesdays – 6:30 pm to 8:00 pm
- Saturdays – 8:30 am to 11:00 am
Winter practices (December through March)
- Tuesdays – 9:30 am to 11:00 am
- Thursdays – 6:30 pm to 8:00 pm
- Saturdays – 9:00 am to 11:00 am
Dress appropriately for the weather:
- Cold and wet – Layer warm synthetic wicking clothing, a breathable rain jacket and pants, waterproof or water-resistant shoes and gloves and a warm hat.
- Hot – Shorts and tee shirt, shade-providing hat and sunglasses.
- Not recommended- Jeans and sneakers.